All living things depend on water, it is the building block that supports all life. Water issues are becoming increasingly prominent as we struggle with disparity between water availability and demands, water pollution, and competition for limited water resources. At Jacobs, we are working with clients, traditional owners and the community, to make a positive impact and deliver solutions that bring value to our communities and society as a whole.
On top of the exposure to challenging projects and career development opportunities, we offer competitive remuneration packages and multiple staff benefits such as paid parental and partner leave, purchase leave, and mental health & wellbeing programs, to name a few.
Here at Jacobs we also support a plethora of flexible working practices such as flexible start/end times, job share arrangements, working from home, and part-time arrangements.
About the teamWe are looking for a Principal Hydrologist & Flood Modeller to help us deliver a strong pipeline of work on high profile and challenging projects that span natural resource management to major infrastructure design. We invest in building and sustaining trusted relationships with key clients like Melbourne Water, as well as contribute to a range of joint ventures on road and rail projects (eg. Geelong Fast Rail, Melbourne Airport Rail, Suburban Rail Loop and Level Crossing Removals in Victoria; Sydney Metro West, Waringah Freeway Upgrade, M6 Design in NSW; PenLink, Christchurch Northern Corridor and Kapiti East West Link Road in New Zealand). We are also currently helping to implement the intent of the Murray-Darling Basin Plan through the Sustainable Diversion Limit Adjustment Mechanism (SDLAM) projects in NSW, and Victorian Murray Floodplain Restoration Project.
The purpose of this role is to be an industry leading hydrologist and flood modeller who is recognised at the national level, through your standing in industry projects and collaboration with other disciplines. You will be required to write proposals for, win and manage both complex and smaller hydrological projects.
There is also a strong requirement to lead and contribute to business development, by fostering effective client relationships, preparing winning proposals, and sourcing work in other ways including inter-area/region collaboration. You will also be responsible for the technical development and direction of more junior staff in the team.
Business-wide initiatives, such as the innovation funding, and demonstrate that Jacobs support technical excellence and innovation and are committed to your further development.
The role will sit within the wider Water Resources section which encompasses the geographical areas of Victoria, Tasmania, NSW and New Zealand – and we are flexible on where you are located within this wide geographical area. The broader team works across hydrology, flood modelling, aquatic ecology, water quality and hydrogeology. We value diversity and have team members from a range of different cultural backgrounds. As a section we have a gender split of 40% male:40% female:20% flexible.
- Leading a range of complex hydrology and flood modelling projects
- Leading and reviewing flood modelling inputs into major infrastructure projects
- Setting the standard for flood modelling across the region in conjunction with the Technical Director and providing technical leadership to more junior staff
- Leading engagement with clients, stakeholders, and regulators to support technical delivery and win work
- Demonstrated ability to win work, develop client relationships and lead business development activities
- Presenting information to senior management at meetings in a concise and effective manner
- Authoring and reviewing complex assessments / reports
- Report and model checking and reviewing
Here's What You'll Need:
- Degree in Engineering or related field Review or compile technical reports that detail the type, methodologies, results of field activities, interpretation of results and impact assessment.
- Coaching and mentoring of junior staff Industry leading experience of surface water modelling with a focus on flood modelling.
- Be able to communicate results an analysis with internal and external clients.
- Build relationships throughout the Jacobs business and with clients.
- Effectively drive collaboration with the wider flood modelling practice to share technical skills, resources, and work packages.
- Maintain industry leading proficiency in the use of standard tools, techniques and equipment that are required for the undertaking, completion, and delivery of your work.
- Ensure deep knowledge of the legislation and policies that are relevant to our work.
- Able to directly liaise with clients in a confident manner and lead meetings with clients and influence decisions.
- Build relation with clients, lead business development and secure new opportunities with existing and new clients.
Jacobs. A world where you can.With safety and flexibility always top of mind, we’ve gone beyond traditional ways of working so you have the support, means and space to maximise your potential. You’ll uncover flexible working arrangements, benefits and opportunities to do good too – from participating in our global giving and volunteering program, to exploring new and inventive ways to help our clients make the world a better place. No matter what drives you, you’ll discover how you can cultivate, nurture and achieve your goals – all at a single global company.
At Jacobs, we’re challenging today to reinvent tomorrow by solving the world’s most critical problems for thriving cities, resilient environments, mission-critical outcomes, operational advancement, scientific discovery and cutting-edge manufacturing, turning abstract ideas into realities that transform the world for good. With $13 billion in revenue and a talent force of more than 55,000, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of professional services including consulting, technical, scientific and project delivery for the government and private sector.
Primary Location:New Zealand-New Zealand Countrywide-Christchurch-NZ - Christchurch Hereford Street
Job Posting:Jun 22, 2022, 1:19:27 AM
NZ - Christchurch Hereford Street
Wynn Williams Building, Level 247 Hereford Street